Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Action Research Project

GOAL:
Are students in grades K-5 receiving adequate keyboarding instruction in order to meet the Technology Applications TEKS for keyboarding?

What type of instruction ensures that students will master the Technology Applications TEKS for keyboarding?

Setting the Foundation - Meet with mentor and site supervisor to discuss research topics. Timeline: July 19-29, 2010.
 
Analyzing Data - Review literature, interview teachers at all grade levels to get their opinions, survey other districts regarding their elementary keyboarding programs using Survey Monkey, and research possible keyboarding software to implement in our district. Timeline: August 13-27, 2010.

Developing Deeper Understanding -  Go over the interview data, summarize survey data, and determine the keyboarding student groups for keyboarding instruction. Timeline: August 13-27, 2010.

Engaging in Self-Reflection - Questions I will respond to on my blog (Timeline: August 27, 2010):
  1. Is this a feasible research project?
  2. What issues stand in the way of implementation?
  3. Why is this topic important to research?
  4. What are the possible outcomes?
Exploring Programmatic Patterns - Meet with site supervisor, elementary principal, and two elementary teachers to discuss outcomes. Timeline: August 31, 2010.

Determining Direction - Meet with site supervisor and elementary principal to go over action research plan. Timeline: August 31, 2010.

Taking Action - Implement the plan with two 2nd grade elementary classes. I will need access to a computer lab (1 computer per student) with a keyboarding program installed. I will meet with each class 20 minutes per day/4 days per week. I will complete a skills inventory on each student in both groups at the beginning of the project to determine pre-existing skills. One group will be taught keyboarding skills using only the software program with no interaction with the teacher. The other group will be taught keyboarding skills using the software program but will also receive correct demonstration, modeling, and positive feedback from a certified keyboarding teacher regarding keyboarding techniques and posture. Once both groups have learned the keyboard, I will complete a skills inventory on each student in both groups to determine which type of instruction yielded the best results. Timeline: September 1, 2010 - May 31, 2011.

6 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    I also feel that this topic is very important to the education of our students. As technology teachers, we need to find creative ways to implement the technology TEKS that are being ignored. At the beginning of the year, when we have a lot of dead time in instruction, would be a perfect time to refresh students memories concerning keyboarding. I look forward to hearing and reading about your research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this topic. I wish that my second graders last year could have had just 30 minutes a week to spend only on keyboarding. I plan on devoting more time to that this year with my 4th graders. Good luck and let me know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I have tried to start on my campus for several years now. I would like to use the 4th grade writing to get the kids to type a story and create their own book. However, the major boundary is the fact that they cannot type. Our technology department says that isn't important, specifically siting that with smartphones, kids will be texting rather than typing in the future. I just don't see that as the case. I hope you can find some good arguments that I can present to my tech department so we can make this shift as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have chosen a valid topic. It seems that often schools don't take the time to teach students the keyboarding schools due to so many other pressing concerns but students need these skills. I would like to suggest that you try to find a way to include the thoughts/opinions of students as they work throught this process. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete