Friday, August 6, 2010

Revised Action Research Plan

I met with both my high school principal and the elementary school principal (where my action research plan takes place) this past week. I was amazed at how supportive they were! Everything fell into place beautifully. I have a 2nd grade teacher who volunteered her class for my project and we will start after labor day. The only change to my action research project is the amount of time I will spend with the class. Originally, I planned to meet with the 2nd grade class 4 times per week 20 minutes/day. We revised that to 3 times per week. The principal suggested that the 2nd graders could come to my high school computer lab when they had reached a milestone. I thought that was a wonderful idea. They will absolutely love to come to the high school! We even discussed projects they could do once they have learned the keyboard such as digital story telling. I am really excited about the project and can't wait to begin.

1 comment:

  1. Your topic is critical! I have so many students that can't use a keyboard correctly and spend a lot of extra time typing papers for classes. My children attended an elementary school that taught keyboarding skills throughout the school year. Both of my children type well and have always typed all of their own papers. Some ideas you might consider.

    Typewrite - Students were required to spend 10 minutes per evening practicing keyboarding skills. Parents signed off that students completed the practice and students that had all signatures received tickets for prizes from the teacher drawer. Students that did not have keyboards at home were given laminated copies of a keyboard to practice on at home.

    Trash Bag Typing - my son's teacher wrapped the keyboard in a trash bag and students had to practice typing without being able to look at the keyboard. Contests for speed and accuracy could add some excitement to this activity.

    ReplyDelete